A fresh leadership crisis has erupted within the Labour Party following a dispute between Abia State Governor, Alex Otti, the party’s recognised national leadership, and embattled former National Chairman, Julius Abure, over the sale of nomination forms ahead of the 2027 general elections.
The latest controversy has further exposed the widening divisions within the party, with both factions laying claim to legitimacy and authority over the party’s structures and activities.
The dispute intensified after photographs surfaced online showing Abure presenting what he described as Labour Party nomination forms to former National Vice Chairman of the party, Ceekay Igara, and several party members in Abia State.
The development immediately triggered reactions from the camp loyal to the party’s current leadership, which insists that Abure no longer possesses the legal authority to act on behalf of the Labour Party.
Reacting to the incident on Sunday, the National Publicity Secretary of the party, Ken Asogwa, warned aspirants, party supporters and members of the public against purchasing nomination forms from Abure or any unauthorised persons.
Asogwa described the forms allegedly issued by Abure as invalid and without legal standing, insisting that only the recognised national leadership of the party has the authority to issue official nomination documents.
He stated that Senator Nenadi Usman remains the legitimate National Chairman of the Labour Party and that all valid nomination forms for the 2027 elections can only be obtained through the party’s official national secretariat located in Utako, Abuja.
“Let it be stated clearly and unequivocally that Senator Nenadi Usman is the National Chairman of the Labour Party, and all legitimate nomination forms for every elective position ahead of the 2027 general elections can only be obtained through the official national secretariat of the party in Abuja,” Asogwa said.
He further described any form issued by Abure as “worthless paper,” accusing those behind the process of attempting to deceive unsuspecting aspirants and supporters.
“Any so-called Labour Party nomination form obtained from Julius Abure or any other unauthorised source is nothing but worthless paper being peddled by political fraudsters seeking to mislead innocent persons,” he added.
The party leadership also questioned why Abure’s activities appeared concentrated in Abia State, a development observers linked to the influence of Governor Otti within the party.
According to the statement, the governor would not succumb to “political intimidation, blackmail or street-corner theatrics.”
The party also accused Abure of criminal impersonation for allegedly continuing to parade himself as the National Chairman despite court rulings to the contrary.
Governor Otti’s camp also weighed in on the matter through his Chief Press Secretary, Ukoha Ukoha, who maintained that existing court judgments had already settled the issue of the party’s leadership.
Speaking to journalists, Ukoha argued that both the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal had recognised Senator Nenadi Usman as the interim leader of the party, adding that the Independent National Electoral Commission had complied with the rulings.
“I think Abure is in a better position to explain the grounds on which he is still parading himself after both the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal ruled that Senator Nenadi Usman was the interim leader of the Labour Party before the convention,” Ukoha said.
“The party has moved on, and INEC has already complied with the directive of a competent court of jurisdiction. What Abure is doing amounts to contempt of court,” he added.
He further argued that any electoral process conducted under Abure’s authority would lack legitimacy and could not be recognised by INEC.
However, supporters of Abure dismissed the criticisms and defended the decision to issue nomination forms.
Ceekay Igara, who received the forms from Abure, explained that the move was a precautionary step pending the final resolution of ongoing legal disputes surrounding the party’s leadership.
According to him, stakeholders aligned with Abure were attempting to prevent a situation where the party could be left without candidates if the Supreme Court eventually rules in favour of the former chairman.
“We currently have two matters before the courts, one at the Supreme Court and another at the Federal High Court,” Igara said.
“If we say Abure should remain inactive and the Supreme Court later restores him as chairman after the primaries have closed, what then happens to the structures and candidates?” he asked.
Igara maintained that consultations were ongoing within the party and insisted that the distribution of forms was merely a preparatory measure ahead of future primaries.
Efforts to get direct comments from Julius Abure were unsuccessful as calls and messages sent to his phone were not responded to at the time of filing this report.
Meanwhile, the spokesman for the Abure faction, Obiora Ifoh, insisted that the group remained the authentic leadership of the Labour Party pending the final determination of the matter by the Supreme Court.
According to Ifoh, the Nnewi convention that produced Abure and members of the National Working Committee remains valid and binding until overturned by the apex court.
“Our matter is still before the Supreme Court. Until the court makes a final pronouncement on the issue, we believe the leadership that emerged from the Nnewi Convention remains valid,” he said.
“Our tenure has not expired, and we will continue to function as a political party until the matter is conclusively resolved,” he added.
Responding to allegations that Abure’s actions amount to contempt of court, Ifoh dismissed the claims, arguing that similar situations exist in other political parties where rival factions continue to operate simultaneously.
“No, we are acting within our rights. Other political parties also have factions conducting parallel activities, and Labour Party is not different,” he stated.
Ifoh also confirmed his own ambition to contest for the House of Representatives seat representing Isuikwuato/Umunneochi Federal Constituency in Abia State in the 2027 elections.
He further denied claims that nomination forms were only being distributed in Abia State, insisting that the exercise was ongoing nationwide.
“It is not true that forms are being sold only in Abia State. We are distributing Expression of Interest and Nomination Forms across all the 36 states of the federation,” he said.
The latest confrontation has once again highlighted the lingering instability within the Labour Party as it struggles to manage internal divisions ahead of the 2027 general elections.






