President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has strongly condemned the reported killing of one of the teachers abducted during the recent attack on schools in Esiele community, Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, describing the act as barbaric and inhumane.
The President gave the assurance on Monday while addressing the growing concerns over the abduction of teachers, pupils and students from schools in the area following the invasion by armed bandits last Friday.
The attack threw the Esiele community into panic after gunmen stormed Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, and L.A. Primary School, abducting several staff members, students and pupils.
Despite the tragic development surrounding the reported death of one of the kidnapped teachers, President Tinubu said security agencies were intensifying efforts to secure the release of all remaining victims and bring those responsible to justice.
According to the President, security operatives have continued to work round the clock in collaboration with local intelligence networks to track down the abductors and dismantle criminal networks operating within the affected communities.
Tinubu expressed sympathy to Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, as well as the government and people of the state over the unfortunate incident.
He also extended condolences to the family of the slain teacher and families of all those still in captivity, assuring them that the Federal Government would not relent until every victim is rescued safely.
“I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I also sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims,” the President said.
Tinubu stated that the Federal Government was already working closely with the Oyo State Government and neighbouring security formations to coordinate rescue operations and strengthen security around vulnerable communities.
He commended the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in both Oyo and Kwara states for what he described as their swift intervention following the attack.
According to him, tactical police units and members of the Intelligence Response Team had already been deployed to the affected areas as part of an intensified operation aimed at rescuing the victims and apprehending the perpetrators.
The President disclosed that the Inspector-General of Police was personally supervising the operation based on his directive, with authorities deploying advanced technological tools and intelligence gathering methods to ensure a breakthrough.
“The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law,” he stated.
Tinubu said the recurring incidents of kidnapping and attacks on rural communities further underscored the urgent need for the establishment of state police structures across the country.
He argued that decentralised policing would help improve security response, especially in remote and underserved areas where federal security personnel are often overstretched.
The President therefore called on the National Assembly to expedite legislative action on the proposed creation of state police, insisting that the security challenges confronting many states required localised policing solutions.
“Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police,” he said.
The incident in Oyo State has once again renewed national concerns over the rising wave of kidnappings and attacks targeting schools and rural communities across parts of the country.
Residents of Esiele community have continued to live in fear following the invasion, with many parents reportedly worried about the safety of their children and teachers in the affected schools.
Security experts have repeatedly warned that attacks on educational institutions could worsen the already fragile state of education in vulnerable rural communities if urgent and sustained measures are not implemented.
Meanwhile, security agencies have maintained that rescue efforts remain active and that operations are being carried out discreetly to avoid jeopardising the safety of the victims still in captivity.
The Presidency reiterated its commitment to ensuring that those behind the attack are arrested and prosecuted, while also assuring Nigerians that the Federal Government remains determined to tackle insecurity across the country through stronger coordination among security agencies and ongoing reforms in the nation’s security architecture.
The statement was issued by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, on May 18, 2026.






