Home / Crime / Kidnapped Oyo Teacher Beheaded By Bandits

Kidnapped Oyo Teacher Beheaded By Bandits

Kidnapped Oyo Teacher Beheaded By Bandits

Tragedy has struck Oyo State following the killing of one of the abducted teachers of Community High School, Ahoro-Esinle in Oriire Local Government Area, identified as Michael Oyedokun, who was reportedly beheaded by his captors.

A disturbing video allegedly released by the kidnappers on Sunday and later circulated on social media showed the teacher tied up before he was gruesomely murdered. The footage, which surfaced on Telegram and other platforms on Monday, has sparked outrage and renewed fears over the safety of other victims still being held captive.

The killing has thrown the entire Ahoro-Esinle community into deep mourning, with residents, families of the abducted victims and concerned Nigerians calling on security agencies and the Oyo State Government to intensify rescue efforts before more lives are lost.

The late Oyedokun was reportedly among the teachers and students abducted when gunmen stormed the school on Friday, May 15, during a violent attack that shocked residents of the area.

The assailants were said to have invaded the school premises and whisked away the principal, several teachers and students to an unknown destination, triggering panic across the local government area and beyond.

The incident has further heightened concerns over the worsening security situation in parts of Oyo State and the increasing wave of kidnappings across the country.

Confirming the killing in a statement issued on Monday, the Special Adviser on Media to Governor Seyi Makinde, Dr. Suleimon Olanrewaju, described the development as heartbreaking and extended the governor’s condolences to the family of the slain teacher.

According to Olanrewaju, Governor Makinde assured residents that the government would continue to deploy both kinetic and non-kinetic strategies to secure the release of the remaining victims still in captivity.

He said the government remained committed to rescuing all abducted persons and ensuring that those responsible for the attack were brought to justice.

“So, please, there may not be quick fixes, but we will continue to endeavour to push ourselves to the limit to resolve this quickly,” he stated.

“What we know right now is that seven teachers in all were abducted. And, unfortunately, we got a video this morning that one of the teachers, I understand, the mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists.”

The governor’s aide disclosed that security operatives had already recorded some successes in ongoing investigations and operations linked to the abduction.

According to him, no fewer than six suspects connected to the incident had been arrested within the locality.

“Well, from the information available from the Commissioner of Police, about six individuals have been arrested within the locality,” he said.

“Some of them, we believe, are perhaps informants or people running logistics for the terrorists.

“Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested by another security outfit within the state.”

Olanrewaju also sympathised with the families of security personnel who lost their lives during rescue efforts aimed at securing the release of the abducted victims.

He revealed that members of the tactical team, including soldiers, operatives of the Amotekun Corps and local vigilantes, died after encountering Improvised Explosive Devices planted by the kidnappers.

According to him, the security operatives were carrying out coordinated rescue operations when the explosives detonated.

He, however, noted that some injured security personnel were currently receiving treatment and responding positively.

“The wounded security personnel are responding positively to treatment, and the government will spare no cost in ensuring they receive adequate care,” he said.

The government also appealed to families of the victims, religious organisations and members of the public to remain calm and patient as efforts continue to secure the release of those still in captivity.

The gruesome killing of Oyedokun has triggered widespread condemnation from residents and civil society groups, many of whom described the act as barbaric and inhumane.

Community leaders and residents of Oriire Local Government Area have also called on both federal and state authorities to strengthen security presence in vulnerable communities, particularly rural areas increasingly targeted by kidnappers and armed groups.

The incident has once again highlighted growing insecurity in parts of Oyo State, especially along isolated communities and highways where criminal groups have continued to operate.

The latest attack also comes just weeks after another attempted abduction along the Ibadan-Ijebu Road reportedly left one traveller dead, further raising concerns about the activities of armed criminals within the state.

Residents say fear has continued to spread across affected communities as parents, teachers and students worry about safety in schools and public spaces.

Many Nigerians have also taken to social media to express anger over the deteriorating security situation in the country, with several users urging government at all levels to adopt more decisive measures against kidnapping and terrorism.

Security analysts have repeatedly warned that attacks on schools and educational institutions could worsen the already alarming number of out-of-school children in Nigeria if urgent steps are not taken to protect students and teachers.

The abduction and killing of the teacher have now added to the growing list of violent attacks targeting schools across the country in recent years.

As investigations and rescue operations continue, residents of Ahoro-Esinle and surrounding communities remain anxious over the fate of the remaining captives.

Families of the victims have continued to appeal to the authorities to act swiftly to prevent further bloodshed and ensure the safe return of their loved ones.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *