Home / Politics / Wike’s clash with naval officer unnecessary, Says Minister of State for Defence

Wike’s clash with naval officer unnecessary, Says Minister of State for Defence

Wike’s clash with naval officer unnecessary, Says Minister of State for Defence

The Minister of State for Defence, Dr. Bello Matawalle, has described the recent confrontation between the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, and a naval officer, Lieutenant A. Yerima, as an unnecessary and avoidable incident that should have been handled through official channels rather than public confrontation.

The incident, which took place on Tuesday in the Gaduwa District of Abuja, stemmed from a dispute over a parcel of land reportedly guarded by armed naval officers acting under the instruction of a former Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Zubairu Gambo (retd.). The clash, which was captured in a viral video, showed Minister Wike angrily confronting Lieutenant Yerima, accusing the ex-naval chief of unlawfully seizing the land.

Speaking in an interview with DCL Hausa, released via its YouTube channel on Wednesday, Dr. Matawalle emphasized that the matter could have been resolved through established military and governmental procedures. He revealed that Wike had already reached out to the Chief of Defence Staff and the Chief of Naval Staff, who advised him to allow the military to investigate the ownership dispute before taking any direct action.

“What happened between Minister Wike and the naval officer was most unfortunate,” Matawalle said. “When the Minister arrived at the site, the officer explained that he was acting under instructions. Wike should not have engaged him in an argument; rather, he should have addressed his concerns through the officer’s superiors. There are laid-down procedures for handling such situations, especially between two senior government officials.”

According to Matawalle, Lieutenant Yerima acted professionally and in accordance with military discipline. He explained that Yerima’s conduct demonstrated loyalty and restraint despite the tense situation. “The officer was simply following lawful orders. He displayed respect and discipline, even when confronted by a superior government official. For that, he deserves commendation, not criticism,” the Defence Minister said.

He further clarified that Yerima did not commit any infraction under military law. “He did not violate any military regulation; he merely obeyed an order given by a superior officer. Throughout the exchange, his tone was respectful, and his conduct was in line with the military code,” he stated.

Dr. Matawalle also used the opportunity to caution public officials against actions that could undermine the morale and authority of the armed forces. He stressed that uniformed personnel represent the authority of the Nigerian state, and disrespecting them equates to undermining the office of the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

“There is, therefore, no justification for any disciplinary action against the officer. Wike should have refrained from the confrontation out of respect for the uniform that the officer wears. Anyone who disrespects a soldier, by extension, disrespects the President, who is the Commander-in-Chief. The officer acted within his mandate and showed admirable restraint,” Matawalle said.

The minister, however, clarified that his statement should not be misconstrued as condoning insubordination within the military. He explained that his intervention was intended to reinforce the importance of following the proper chain of command when addressing disputes involving security agencies.

“This is not about encouraging military personnel to act disrespectfully toward civilians or government officials,” Matawalle said. “The point is that every officer operates under a structured command system. From my understanding, the Minister had earlier called the Chief of Defence Staff, who advised him to wait for the outcome of an investigation. Unfortunately, Wike did not heed that advice and went directly to the site.”

The Defence Minister disclosed that both the Chief of Defence Staff and the Chief of Naval Staff had assured the FCT Minister that the matter would be investigated within a short time. Despite this assurance, Wike proceeded to visit the disputed land in person, leading to the confrontation with the naval officer.

“Wike also contacted the Chief of Naval Staff, who told him that an inquiry would be conducted immediately,” Matawalle explained. “The investigation was supposed to be completed within a day, but instead of waiting, he chose to go there himself. As a leader and a senior member of the Federal Executive Council, patience and restraint would have been the best approach.”

Matawalle confirmed that the Chief of Naval Staff has since visited the site of the disputed land to initiate a formal investigation into its ownership. “Now that the Chief of Naval Staff has gone to the site, a full investigation will be conducted to determine who owns the rightful documents and whether any illegal occupation has taken place,” he said.

He also emphasized that land disputes, especially those involving military personnel or government institutions, should be addressed through formal administrative and diplomatic procedures. “If the FCT administration believes the land has been wrongfully occupied or revoked, there are established legal and administrative processes to follow. These matters should not be settled through confrontation,” the Minister noted.

Dr. Matawalle disclosed that the Ministry of Defence has not received any formal complaint from Minister Wike regarding the incident. However, following the public release of the video showing the altercation, he personally reached out to Wike to advise restraint and adherence to procedure.

“We have not received any written complaint from the FCT Minister, but after the video went viral, I called him personally,” Matawalle revealed. “I advised him that, as a colleague in government, he should have contacted me directly so we could handle the issue discreetly. There was no need for a public confrontation that could be misinterpreted by the public.”

He concluded by urging all government officials to lead by example and respect institutional processes. “As leaders, we must always demonstrate patience and discipline in handling issues of governance. The military is an institution built on loyalty, hierarchy, and respect. If we expect the armed forces to maintain professionalism, we must also treat them with the dignity they deserve,” Matawalle advised.

The incident has since sparked widespread public debate, with many Nigerians calling for a more harmonious relationship between civilian authorities and the military in the administration of public lands and security matters in the Federal Capital Territory.

While the Defence Ministry moves forward with its investigation, observers say the episode underscores the importance of communication and collaboration among arms of government. Analysts have urged both ministers to de-escalate tensions and allow due process to determine the rightful ownership of the contested Gaduwa land.

In what appears to be an attempt to restore calm, senior defence officials have reiterated their commitment to transparency in handling the matter and maintaining the integrity of Nigeria’s security institutions.

For now, all eyes remain on the outcome of the ongoing investigation — one that may define the delicate balance between political authority and military discipline in the heart of the nation’s capital.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *