The Kaduna State Police Command has recovered 210 rounds of live ammunition abandoned by unidentified occupants of a commercial vehicle along the busy Zaria–Funtua highway. The discovery, which has heightened concerns over the movement of firearms across the state, was confirmed in a statement issued Tuesday by the command’s spokesperson, ASP Mansir Hassan.
According to Hassan, the ammunition—210 rounds of 7.56mm cartridges—was found inside a sack that was thrown out of a moving vehicle at the Dogo Itace axis in Zaria. The vehicle, described as a black Volkswagen Golf used for commercial transport, reportedly dumped the sack after the occupants noticed heightened police presence along the highway.
The incident was first reported to the Samaru Divisional Police Office by residents who witnessed passengers quickly discarding the suspicious item. Acting swiftly on the alert, the Divisional Police Officer dispatched a patrol team to the location.
“When officers arrived at the scene, they recovered a sack filled with 210 rounds of live 7.56mm ammunition,” Hassan stated. “The DPO immediately contacted other police divisions along the route, extending alerts up to Funtua in an attempt to intercept the fleeing vehicle. Unfortunately, the suspects were not tracked down.”
Police believe the occupants may have panicked upon sighting increased patrols and snap checkpoints recently rolled out across the state to curb the movement of weapons, kidnappers, and bandit groups.
Heightened Security Measures Prompt Desperate Actions
Investigators say that the recovery highlights the effectiveness of ongoing security operations, suggesting criminals are becoming increasingly uneasy as surveillance intensifies.
“The suspects likely sensed danger due to the intensified patrols and checkpoints,” Hassan explained. “Their decision to dump the ammunition indicates the pressure our officers are mounting on criminal networks.”
The recovered ammunition is commonly used in assault rifles, raising concerns that it may have been destined for criminal gangs or bandit groups operating in Kaduna and neighbouring states.
Police Launch Manhunt, Appeal to Public for Support
Commissioner of Police, CP Rabiu Muhammad, described the incident as another breakthrough in the command’s efforts to intercept illegal arms before they reach criminal elements. He assured residents that a full-scale manhunt had been launched to track down the fleeing suspects.
“The Kaduna Police Command is fully committed to proactive policing aimed at preventing crime before it occurs,” Muhammad said. “We urge residents to remain vigilant and continue providing timely information. Together, we can ensure the safety of our communities.”
He warned criminals against using Kaduna as a transit route for weapons, declaring that anyone caught would face the full weight of the law.
Growing Concerns Over Arms Trafficking
The recovery comes amid rising security concerns across the North-West, a region battling banditry, kidnappings, and communal violence. Intelligence reports in recent years have repeatedly identified highways—including the Zaria–Funtua corridor—as transit routes for illegal arms moving from border communities into Nigeria’s interior.
Security analysts say the interception underscores the need for increased collaboration between communities and law enforcement agencies.
“This seizure exposes how weapons are clandestinely transported across Nigerian roads,” said a security analyst familiar with arms trafficking networks. “Community vigilance played an essential role here, and such cooperation must be strengthened.”
Residents React
In Samaru and neighbouring communities, residents have praised the swift police response but called for sustained highway patrols.
A trader in the area, who witnessed the suspicious activity, said the behaviour of the car’s occupants immediately raised alarm.
“They slowed down, looked around, and tossed the sack out,” he said. “We knew something was wrong and quickly contacted the police.”
Others expressed concern that dangerous items were being moved through public transport vehicles, potentially exposing innocent passengers to risk.
Police Renew Commitment to Highway Security
The Kaduna Police Command has reiterated its determination to keep the state secure through intelligence-driven operations, high-visibility patrols, and rapid response mechanisms.
“We will not relent,” Commissioner Muhammad declared. “Kaduna must remain unsafe for criminals. Anyone moving illegal arms should know that we are watching.”
The recovered ammunition has been taken into custody as investigations continue. Police say they are analysing possible links to bandit groups and checking whether the ammunition matches recent crime-scene recoveries.
Residents are encouraged to report suspicious behaviour, abandoned items, or unusual vehicle movements through established emergency hotlines.
With nearly daily reports of gun violence and insecurity across parts of the country, the Kaduna Police Command emphasises that community cooperation remains a critical tool in preventing crime and safeguarding lives.
As the manhunt intensifies, security officials are confident that continued vigilance will lead to the arrest of those behind the abandoned ammunition and help curb the flow of weapons into troubled communities in Kaduna and beyond.






