Home / International / Trump Says He Will Miss Son’s Wedding Due to White House Duties, Iran Crisis

Trump Says He Will Miss Son’s Wedding Due to White House Duties, Iran Crisis

Trump Says He Will Miss Son’s Wedding Due to White House Duties, Iran Crisis

United States President Donald Trump has revealed that he will be unable to attend the wedding of his eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., citing pressing government responsibilities and ongoing international developments, particularly the escalating tensions involving Iran.

Trump made the disclosure in a post shared on his Truth Social account on Friday, May 22, 2026, where he explained that his obligations as president and the need to remain at the White House during a sensitive period outweighed his desire to attend the family event.

According to the US president, although he wished to be physically present for the wedding ceremony involving his son and his fiancée, Bettina Anderson, circumstances connected to matters of state made it impossible for him to leave Washington, D.C.

“While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Jr., and the newest member of the Trump Family, his soon to be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so,” Trump wrote.

“I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, D.C., at the White House during this important period of time. Congratulations to Don and Bettina! President DONALD J. TRUMP,” he added.

The announcement immediately generated reactions across political and media circles in the United States, with many observers interpreting the decision as a reflection of the growing pressure surrounding Trump’s presidency amid ongoing international tensions.

The president had earlier hinted at the possibility of missing the wedding during an interaction with reporters earlier in the week.

According to reports by The Independent, Trump told journalists that current developments involving Iran and other national matters made the timing difficult for him to travel or participate in personal engagements.

“He’d like me to go,” Trump reportedly said while speaking about his son.

“I said, ‘You know, this is not good timing for me. I have a thing called Iran and other things,’” he added.

Trump also joked about the political criticism he expected regardless of whatever decision he eventually made concerning the wedding.

“That’s one I can’t win on,” the president said while speaking from the Oval Office.

“If I do attend, I get killed. If I don’t attend, I get killed by the fake news, of course,” he remarked.

The comments underscored the difficult balancing act between presidential obligations and family commitments, especially at a time when the White House is deeply engaged in sensitive diplomatic and security issues.

Although the wedding marks a significant milestone for Donald Trump Jr. and his fiancée, Trump’s decision to remain in Washington signals the administration’s focus on international developments, particularly rising tensions involving Iran.

The ongoing situation in the Middle East has continued to dominate global headlines, with Trump maintaining a hardline position against the Iranian government.

The president has repeatedly insisted that Iran must never be allowed to acquire nuclear weapons and has publicly vowed to ensure what he described as Iran’s “surrender” in ongoing diplomatic and strategic confrontations.

Despite mixed international reactions to the administration’s approach toward Iran, Trump has continued to defend his policies as necessary for global security and regional stability.

Just days before announcing his absence from the wedding, Trump disclosed that the United States had suspended a planned military strike against the Islamic Republic of Iran following interventions from several influential Middle Eastern leaders.

In another statement posted on Truth Social, the US president said the military operation had been scheduled to take place “tomorrow” before diplomatic appeals led to its suspension.

According to Trump, the request to halt the planned strike came from the Emir of Qatar, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince, Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, and the President of the United Arab Emirates, Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.

“I have been asked by the Emir of Qatar, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, and the President of the United Arab Emirates, Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was scheduled for tomorrow,” Trump stated.

He explained that the Middle Eastern leaders informed Washington that serious negotiations were ongoing and that there remained a possibility of reaching a diplomatic agreement acceptable to both the United States and regional stakeholders.

According to Trump, the proposed agreement would contain guarantees preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons.

“This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!” the president declared.

The latest developments have intensified international attention on the US administration’s handling of the Iran situation, particularly as concerns grow over the possibility of broader regional instability.

Political analysts say Trump’s decision to remain in Washington instead of attending his son’s wedding reflects the seriousness with which the White House currently views developments in the Middle East.

Observers also note that the president’s comments appear aimed at reinforcing his image as a leader prioritising national responsibilities over personal matters during periods of geopolitical uncertainty.

Meanwhile, reactions to Trump’s announcement have been mixed on social media and within political circles.

While some supporters praised the president for prioritising national interests, critics questioned whether the public remarks surrounding the family event were necessary.

Donald Trump Jr., a businessman and prominent political ally of his father, has remained one of the most visible members of the Trump political family and frequently participates in campaign activities and media engagements linked to the administration.

His wedding to Bettina Anderson has attracted considerable public attention, particularly because of the prominence of the Trump family within American politics and media culture.

However, despite the family significance of the occasion, President Trump appears determined to remain focused on the escalating diplomatic and security challenges confronting his administration.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *