Home / Event / FG Transfers Nnamdi Kanu to Sokoto Prison After Life Imprisonment Verdict, Sparks Outrage and Fresh Legal Battle

FG Transfers Nnamdi Kanu to Sokoto Prison After Life Imprisonment Verdict, Sparks Outrage and Fresh Legal Battle

FG Transfers Nnamdi Kanu to Sokoto Prison After Life Imprisonment Verdict, Sparks Outrage and Fresh Legal Battle

The Federal Government has transferred the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, from the Department of State Services (DSS) detention facility in Abuja to a correctional centre in Sokoto State. The development, which became public on Friday, has triggered widespread concerns over access to justice, legal representation, and Kanu’s personal safety.

Kanu’s special counsel, Barrister Aloy Ejimakor, disclosed the transfer in a post on X, formerly Twitter, describing the move as an attempt to further isolate the embattled separatist leader.

“Breaking: MAZI NNAMDI KANU has just been moved from DSS Abuja to the correctional facility (prison) in Sokoto; so far away from his lawyers, family, loved ones and well-wishers,” Ejimakor wrote.

The transfer came barely 24 hours after the Federal High Court in Abuja convicted and sentenced Kanu to life imprisonment on terrorism charges, a judgment his legal team has vehemently rejected. The ruling, delivered by Justice James Omotosho, has been characterized by Kanu’s lawyers as “a travesty of justice,” prompting an immediate decision to proceed to the Court of Appeal.

A Verdict That “Will Forever Live in Infamy”

Speaking to journalists shortly after the judgment, Ejimakor said the ruling marked “a dark day” in Nigeria’s judicial history. According to him, the conviction was unprecedented because it rested solely on statements Kanu made during his broadcasts, rather than any violent act linked to him.

“Today will forever remain in Nigeria’s history,” he said. “Today is the only day I have seen a man convicted for what he said with his mouth, not what he did with his hands.”

Ejimakor argued that the prosecution failed to establish any direct link between Kanu’s statements and any act of violence.

“The verdict is not consistent with the evidence before the court. The sentence is overbroad, cruel, and unusual,” he maintained.

He questioned the legal basis of convicting an individual for “mere words,” insisting that no act—violent or otherwise—was tied to Kanu’s broadcasts.

“How can you convict a man for making a mere broadcast from a location that was never identified, and which the prosecution could not link to a single incident—not even a slap—let alone terrorism?” he asked.

Ejimakor insisted that Kanu’s advocacy for self-determination falls within the rights permissible under international law and cannot be treated as a criminal offence.

“To pursue a separate nation for your people is not a crime. Mazi Nnamdi Kanu made broadcasts—and so what? This judgment sets a dangerous precedent in Nigeria,” he warned.

Defence Team Heads to Court of Appeal

Ejimakor confirmed that the legal team has begun preparing the appeal and will pursue the case until the conviction is overturned.

“From here, we are heading to the Court of Appeal. We trust the justices there to examine what transpired today,” he said. “If the Court of Appeal disagrees with us, we will proceed to the Supreme Court. By God’s grace, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu will not remain convicted; this will be overturned.”

Another member of the defence team, Barrister Maxwell Okpara, also condemned the ruling, describing it as a judgment delivered “in anger rather than law.”

He appealed for calm in the South-East, urging supporters of Kanu not to take the law into their hands.

“We understand the pain and disappointment felt across the region, but violence will only worsen matters,” Okpara cautioned. “We are confident that higher courts will correct this grave miscarriage of justice.”

Concerns Over Transfer to Sokoto Prison

The decision to transfer Kanu to Sokoto—located more than 700 kilometres from Abuja—has been interpreted by his legal team as a deliberate effort to restrict his access to counsel, family members, and medical care. The move has also raised broader questions about fairness, transparency, and the protection of fundamental rights.

Ejimakor noted that Sokoto is one of the farthest possible locations from Kanu’s legal base and family network.

“Moving him this far is both punitive and strategic. It creates distance between him and those who are crucial to his defence,” he said.

Civil society groups, human rights advocates, and political leaders from the South-East have expressed alarm over the development, describing it as provocative and capable of heightening tensions across the region.

Political and Social Implications

Kanu’s conviction and transfer have reignited debates around self-determination, political marginalization, and the use of state power in managing dissent. The IPOB leader’s case has long been symbolic of broader grievances in the South-East, where many believe the region has been systematically sidelined in Nigeria’s political architecture.

Observers warn that the federal government’s handling of the case may deepen existing mistrust and further polarize the nation.

Looking Ahead

With an appeal set to begin immediately, the legal battle is far from over. Kanu’s defence team remains adamant that the conviction cannot stand under proper judicial scrutiny. Meanwhile, the transfer to Sokoto prison continues to generate national conversation and concern.

For now, all eyes are on the Court of Appeal and the unfolding legal journey that will shape the next chapter of one of Nigeria’s most contentious political and judicial sagas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *