Home / International / President Tinubu sends three ambassadorial nominees to Senate for screening as Nigeria moves to restore full diplomatic presence abroad

President Tinubu sends three ambassadorial nominees to Senate for screening as Nigeria moves to restore full diplomatic presence abroad

President Tinubu sends three ambassadorial nominees to Senate for screening as Nigeria moves to restore full diplomatic presence abroad

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has transmitted the names of three ambassadorial nominees to the Senate for confirmation, marking the first major step toward restoring Nigeria’s full diplomatic representation abroad since the recall of all envoys in September 2023.

Senate President Godswill Akpabio made the announcement during Wednesday’s plenary session, which was streamed live on the National Assembly’s official YouTube channel and monitored by PUNCH Online.

The nominees forwarded to the upper chamber include:

  • Kayode Are – Ogun State

  • Aminu Dalhatu – Jigawa State

  • Ayodele Oke – (State not specified in the letter read at plenary)

The nominations were contained in a letter from President Tinubu titled “Request for confirmation of appointments of non-career ambassador designates.” In the letter, the President cited the constitutional basis for the appointments:

“In accordance with the provisions of Section 171 subsections 1 and 2, c and 4 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, as amended, I am pleased to present for confirmation by the Senate the underlisted three nominees as non-career ambassador designates.”

After reading out the names, Senate President Akpabio clarified that Wednesday’s list represents only the first batch of nominations.

“The list contains three names for now. I am sure others will follow,” he said.

Akpabio subsequently directed the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs to screen the nominees and report back within one week.

A Long-Awaited Step After Diplomatic Vacuum

Since assuming office in May 2023, President Tinubu had yet to appoint ambassadors—an unusual delay that attracted criticism from diplomats, foreign policy analysts, and lawmakers.

The situation became more complicated in September 2023, when the Federal Government ordered the recall of all Nigerian envoys serving in:

  • 76 embassies

  • 22 high commissions

  • 11 consulates

The mass recall, which the Presidency described as part of a “comprehensive diplomatic review”, effectively left Nigeria without substantive ambassadors for more than a year. During this period, most foreign missions were overseen by chargés d’affaires or senior consular officers, whose limited authority restricted Nigeria’s ability to engage fully in bilateral negotiations, high-level diplomacy, and international treaty discussions.

Critics warned that the absence of ambassadors weakened Nigeria’s diplomatic influence, contributed to communication gaps with strategic partners, and came at a time when global security concerns and economic realignments demanded stronger international engagement.

Background Checks Completed

Sources within the Ministry of Foreign Affairs revealed that the shortlist had been finalised weeks earlier, and President Tinubu was simply awaiting the right moment to transmit the names to the Senate.

Speaking anonymously, a senior government official said:

“The list is ready. It’s ready. All background checks have been concluded. It is now with the President, and it’s up to him.”

Wednesday’s submission therefore marks a significant move to restore normalcy after months of speculation and pressure from the diplomatic community.

Recent Diplomatic Tensions and International Concerns

The delayed ambassadorial appointments coincided with mounting external pressure on Nigeria. In early November 2025, the United States redesignated Nigeria as a Country of Particular Concern (CPC) over alleged violations of religious freedom. U.S. President Donald Trump went further, warning that Washington might:

  • Withhold security and humanitarian aid

  • Impose targeted sanctions

  • Or even consider military intervention

The designation sparked intense debate within Nigeria’s foreign policy and security establishments, with analysts arguing that prolonged diplomatic gaps made it more difficult to counter negative narratives and engage the U.S. effectively.

Restoring Nigeria’s diplomatic footprint has therefore become a strategic priority for the Tinubu administration.

Balancing Politics, Merit, and Geopolitical Interests

President Tinubu recently acknowledged the difficulty of composing a balanced ambassadorial list, citing the need to reconcile:

  • Geopolitical considerations

  • Political commitments

  • Career foreign service structures

  • Competence requirements

The three nominees submitted on Wednesday reflect the first phase of what Presidency insiders describe as a “carefully calibrated deployment strategy.” More batches are expected in the coming days, potentially including career diplomats and additional political appointees.

The Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, chaired by Senator Saliu Mustapha, has been given one week to screen the nominees. The committee is expected to examine:

  • Their diplomatic experience

  • Security clearance

  • Understanding of Nigeria’s foreign policy priorities

  • Integrity and public service credentials

Once confirmed, the ambassadors will proceed to their designated foreign missions, where they will be tasked with rebuilding Nigeria’s diplomatic influence, strengthening bilateral relations, expanding economic partnerships, and enhancing citizen services at embassies and consulates.

With the first set of nominations now before the Senate, Nigeria appears poised to finally restore the full operations of its global diplomatic network—more than a year after it was scaled back.

More nominees are expected in the coming weeks as President Tinubu completes the restructuring of Nigeria’s foreign service architecture.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *