Home / Education / US Lawmaker Condemns Niger Catholic School Attack, Says “Enough is Enough” as Wave of Kidnappings Sparks Global Outrage

US Lawmaker Condemns Niger Catholic School Attack, Says “Enough is Enough” as Wave of Kidnappings Sparks Global Outrage

US Lawmaker Condemns Niger Catholic School Attack, Says “Enough is Enough” as Wave of Kidnappings Sparks Global Outrage

A member of the United States Congress, Rep. Riley Moore, has strongly condemned the latest mass abduction of students and teachers from St. Mary’s Catholic School in Papiri, Agwara Local Government Area of Niger State. The attack, which occurred in the early hours of Friday, has renewed global alarm over the rising wave of violence targeting schools and Christian communities in Nigeria.

Moore, who serves on the influential House Appropriations Committee, described the attack as “heartbreaking” and called for urgent international action to protect vulnerable communities across the country.

In a statement posted on his official X account, the lawmaker said:
“Heartbreaking. St. Mary’s Catholic School in Nigeria was attacked overnight, with more than 50 students and teachers being kidnapped. Enough is enough. We must do everything we can to defend our brothers and sisters in Christ.”

Second Mass Kidnapping in One Week

Friday’s abduction in Niger State is the second mass school kidnapping within the week, intensifying fears that criminal gangs and extremist groups are escalating attacks on educational institutions. Reports indicate that heavily armed gunmen stormed the Catholic primary and secondary school, firing sporadically before abducting an undisclosed number of students and staff.

Eyewitnesses say the attackers arrived in large numbers, overwhelming local security guards and abducting victims into the surrounding bush. The exact number of kidnapped individuals is yet to be confirmed as authorities continue to assess the situation.

The incident follows a similarly devastating attack on Monday in Kebbi State, where gunmen invaded the Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School in Maga town and abducted at least 24 schoolgirls. According to the Kebbi State government, the attackers descended on the school around 4:00 a.m., shooting indiscriminately before whisking the girls away.

The back-to-back kidnappings have triggered widespread panic in the affected communities and raised fresh concerns about the deteriorating security situation across northern Nigeria.

International Concern Over Religious Violence

Rep. Moore’s comments come at a time of heightened scrutiny of Nigeria’s human rights and security record. Earlier this month, U.S. President Donald Trump redesignated Nigeria as a “Country of Particular Concern” (CPC) for what Washington describes as severe violations of religious freedom.

The designation places Nigeria alongside countries with the most serious and systemic abuses against religious communities. According to U.S. officials, attacks on Christian communities, religious leaders, and places of worship—especially in northern and middle-belt regions—were key factors in the decision.

President Trump has warned that the United States may reconsider its development assistance to Nigeria or, in extreme circumstances, deploy military measures if the Nigerian government fails to curb ongoing violence.

The CPC label has been sharply rejected by Nigeria’s Federal Government, which described the designation as “premature and based on faulty data.” Officials argue that religiously targeted violence is not state-sponsored and that the administration remains committed to protecting all citizens regardless of faith.

The government has also called for more cooperation and intelligence sharing rather than punitive measures, insisting that threats of sanctions or military intervention could escalate tensions rather than resolve them.

Escalating Violence Against Schools and Christian Institutions

Attacks on schools and religious communities have been on the rise, with bandit groups, insurgents, and criminal networks targeting vulnerable populations for ransom. Nigeria has recorded more than 1,400 school abductions since 2014, when Boko Haram kidnapped over 200 schoolgirls in Chibok, sparking international condemnation.

Security analysts warn that the persistent targeting of Christian institutions—including churches, seminaries, and mission schools—may be part of a broader strategy to instill fear and destabilize local communities.

Human rights groups have repeatedly urged the government to invest more in perimeter security, intelligence gathering, and community policing to curb the rising violence. They also warn that the growing involvement of transnational criminal networks may be complicating Nigeria’s security landscape.

Global Reactions and Growing Pressure

Rep. Riley Moore’s remarks add to the growing chorus of international voices speaking out against insecurity in Nigeria. Christian advocacy groups, international NGOs, and lawmakers across Europe and North America have consistently expressed concern about the scale of violence in the country.

In Washington, several members of Congress have called for hearings, sanctions, and increased humanitarian support for victims of terrorism and banditry in Nigeria.

Moore’s condemnation reflects a broader frustration among Western policymakers who argue that Nigeria’s government has not demonstrated adequate urgency in protecting schools and religious minorities.

Nigerian Government Defends Its Record

Despite the criticism, Nigerian authorities maintain that significant progress has been made in recent years. Security forces have conducted several operations to dismantle bandit camps and rescue abducted victims. However, the frequency of attacks suggests that more comprehensive and coordinated measures are urgently needed.

A senior official at the Ministry of Information reiterated that Nigeria remains committed to tackling insecurity through a mix of military action, community engagement, and economic interventions. He dismissed narratives that frame the crisis as religious persecution, insisting that criminality—not faith—is the primary driver of violence.

Communities Demand Action

As search operations continue in Niger and Kebbi states, families of abducted students have appealed to the government to take decisive action to rescue their loved ones. Local leaders warn that any delay could embolden the attackers and undermine confidence in the authorities.

Catholic leaders in Nigeria also issued statements condemning the attack on St. Mary’s Catholic School, calling it a “direct assault on the dignity of human life and the future of our children.”

A Nation in Mourning—and Demanding Answers

The latest abduction underscores the urgent need for comprehensive reforms to address insecurity across northern Nigeria. With international scrutiny intensifying and local communities losing faith in the system, pressure is mounting on the government to protect schools, restore peace, and bring perpetrators to justice.

For now, as families wait anxiously and the world watches, the cry for a safer Nigeria grows louder: Enough is enough.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *